The Parish of Haslemere worships together in two churches St Bartholomew’s on Derby Road and St Christopher’s on St Christopher’s Green.
St Bartholomew’s Church
There has been a place of worship on the site of St Bartholomew’s from the reign of Henry II in the 12th Century. Originally part of Chiddingfold, Haslemere became a separate parish in 1838. With the town expanding and with the coming of the London to Portsmouth railway, it was decided to rebuild the church in 1871. The previous Church had been inspected by the Diocese of Winchester.
Find out more about St Bartholomew’s Church
St Christopher’s Church
St. Christopher’s Church was built as a result of the westward expansion of the small town of Haslemere following the coming of the railway and the addition of a part of a nearby parish. The initial proponent of the project, in the last decade of the 19th century, was the Parish Rector, Rev’d Sanders Etheridge, and his work was continued enthusiastically by his successor, Rev’d George Aitken, a noted social reformer and Liberal.
Find out more about St Christopher’s Church.